- Protect the cardiovascular system
- Other beneficial properties of olive oil
- Pharmaceutical uses
- The view of the Special
Researchers at the University of Minnesota, they discovered that while the Greek and other Mediterranean peoples consume fat as Americans, have smaller percentages in cardiovascular diseases. What differentiates the Mediterranean diet is consuming extra virgin olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fat (oleic acid). What is desirable to protect the cardiovascular system is to maintain total and LDL cholesterol, low HDL and high. We can understand the importance of consumption of extra virgin olive oil from the following:
- The consumption of extra virgin olive oil helps in reducing LDL(poor) cholesterol and increased HDL(good) cholesterol
- Researchers have found that a diet low in fat can cause cholesterol whilst lowering and also decrease HDL(good ) cholesterol. Instead a diet rich in fat based on extra virgin olive oil contributes to lowering total cholesterol but also to increase HDL( good) cholesterol.
Saturated fatty acids are mainly found in the meat and cause an increase in LDL cholesterol so increase the likelihood for increased atherosclerosis. Polyunsaturated found in vegetables nuts, seeds, cereal grains. Cause a reduction of LDL cholesterol shackled but decrease HDL cholesterol and which reduction is not desirable. There are indications that the overused polyunsaturated can cause more harm than good because it increases the risk for problems of the nervous system, the connectivity of the brain's synapses, bladder stones and even cancer. Monounsaturated fatty acids are found in all fatty foods in varying quantities. Prokaloyn reduction of LDL and HDL cholesterol increase. Olive oil has the lowest in saturated and polyunsaturated ( on average contains 10 – 15% saturated, 8-9% Polyunsaturated) and most importantly has the highest content of other oils in monounsaturated(75 – 80%).
- Protect against rheumatoid arthritis
- Contains antioxidants. Specifically promotes synthesis of β carotene( provitamin a.) and tocopherol(vitamin e) within the gastrointestinal tract. The 88% of vitamin e contained in extra-virgin olive oil and is in the form of a-tocopherol which leaving easily from our body. These antioxidants are very important because they prevent the oxidation of LDL lipoproteins which can cause cell damage in General, nerve cells, of the arteries and lead to arteriosclerosis, coronary heart disease and even cancer
- Has anti-aging properties . Vitamin e and generally phenols and polyphenols contained provide a defense against oxidation of fatty acids and consequently the creation of free radicals that lead to the destruction of the aging and cancer. Also vitamin d interferes with and thus minimizes the creation of wrinkles
- Impact on the development of the central nervous system as well as in the normal development of children.
- The oil is absorbed by the human body to such an extent that it is considered ideal, having achieved the absorption of fine ingredients such as vitamin e and phenolic antioxidants
- Helps digestion of fats and other non-food . This is due to the composition of fatty acids , its capacity to facilitate the secretions of bile and the presence of certain mikrosystatikwn such as chlorophyll and faiofytini that help increase secretions of digestive tract
- Can fix the calcification of bones due to oleϊkwn acids containing, contribute to the creation of strong bones in children and to prevent the loss of calcium from bones in adults
- Besides the fat soluble vitamin A, D, E, K containing olive oil and contains
- Chlorophyll rich in magnesium that supports the creation of healthy red blood cells
- Squalene, a precursor of phytosterols that help deacidification
- Phytosterols( in the form of b-phytosterol)that inhibit the absorption of cholesterol
- Caffeine and French, ingredients that stimulate the secretion of bile thus making it less acidic food leaving the stomach reducing the stress on the pancreas
- Phenolic compounds that promote the production of lipolytic enzymes in the pancreas
From the above we see that the oil has beneficial properties in nearly all body functions, as brain development, bone growth, digestion, anti-aging of cells, the condition of skin and hair, metabolism and resistance to create plaque in blood vessels. The factual finding that the longevity and vitality of Cretans due primarily to their diets with plenty of olive oil proves the biological and nutritional value of the product. And while outweighs the biological and nutritional value compared to other vegetable oils the calorific value is the same. From the above we see that the oil has beneficial properties in nearly all body functions, as brain development, bone growth, digestion, anti-aging of cells, the condition of skin and hair, metabolism and resistance to create plaque in blood vessels. The factual finding that the longevity and vitality of Cretans due primarily to their diets with plenty of olive oil proves the biological and nutritional value of the product. And while outweighs the biological and nutritional value compared to other vegetable oils the calorific value is the same.
In Hippocratic Corpus mentioned more than sixty pharmaceutical uses of. At the beginning of the last century had given a series of recipes based on olive oil, for tuberculosis, rheumatism, wound closure etc. One should look very much to find a food that has as many positive effects on many systems and functions of our body as many olive oil. To prefer raw or cooked olive oil; With cooking lost some of the ingredients of olive oil, It is advisable to use a little olive oil first and to add the rest at the end of cooking. Pulses especially olive oil is added at the end. Olive oil best suited for frying of vegetable oils There is the myth that for frying is better seed oils of olive oil. This does not apply The olive oil is the best greasy material for frying as it is more resistant to temperature 170 – 180 Celsius deep-frying because they are rich in monounsaturated oleic acid and natural antioxidants. Instead the seed oils are polyunsaturated and contain no antioxidants are most susceptible to frying and oxidize faster. Attention! You should not use the same oil to frying uses repeatedly why produced trans fats are harmful to health.
The sacred tree of Crete, Elia, is the symbol for centuries of. The role it plays in all aspects of life in Crete and Greece, from economics and nutrition, is particularly important. It is no coincidence the name "liquid gold" given in olive oil has been proven the world's beneficial action in the maintenance of health thanks to its medicinal properties and its effectiveness in preventing various diseases. Olive oil is a key element of the Mediterranean diet that is becoming more acceptable in recent years as the best ' recipe ' for health, Wellness and longevity. However, starting point of the Mediterranean diet is considered the worldwide known model of the Cretan diet that an international investigation that held the 1988 emerged healthier even than the dietary guidelines of the American Heart Association. Also, It is very important that the conclusions of international investigation indicated that the Cretan diet is in many cases more effective than even the medication. Scientific studies over time, as the "Study of seven countries have demonstrated the direct correlation of increased consumption of olive oil with the improved level of health. Medical researches made and continue to be made in Europe and in America reveal that olive oil not only protects the heart and helps in the proper functioning of many organs and acts beneficially in a long series of illnesses. Specifically, It has been shown that olive oil consumption is directly linked to reducing the risk for cardiovascular disease, cancer, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, Alzheimer disease, dementia, ulcer, sexual impotence, even µ e development and aging. Also, It has been shown that helps regulate cholesterol levels in the blood, acts as a safeguard to the creation of atherosclerotic plaque in the vessels and has anticoagulant and anti-inflammatory actions. All these features are better than animal fats, But even from other vegetable oils. The beneficial effects of olive oil due: · the high content of monounsaturated fatty acids, mainly oleic acid · in very low in saturated fat · in an ideal relationship of saturated/monounsaturated fatty acids · the high content of linoleic acid, that covers a large percentage of the requirements of the Agency in essential fatty acids · in the presence of α-tocopherol is the most biologically active form of tocopherol (vitamin e) in very satisfactory quantities and the good relationship between vitamin e and polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic acid) · on phenols such as elaioeyrwpaini, the hydroxytyrosol, the tyrosoli, beta-sitosterol, rutin and caffeic acid · in sterols and mainly in large capacity in most common phytosterol, beta-sitosterol · in particular the carotenoids beta-carotene · in terpene alcohols · in large amounts of squalene In extra virgin olive oil "Erotokritos" Sitia province has all the elements necessary to rank worthy as an extremely high-quality olive oil. In accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of rural development and food, Food and beverage code and regulations of the European Union has received from the Ministry of agriculture through µ AGROCERT the single national brand that certifies as "Pdo" protected designation of origin. The extra virgin olive oil "Erotokritos" Sitia province is characterized by low acidity, pleasant smell, bright color, high clarity, pachytita and excellent taste. These quality characteristics are due to the mild climate that prevails on the island, the harvest is done only when the fruit is in excellent ripeness and transporting the olives for oil extraction in optimum conditions of temperature and ventilation in a short time by collecting and µ e the help of modern techniques and equipment. End, the oil mill, packaging and packing and storage premises meet all the required standards. The most important, However, is that the extra virgin olive oil "Erotokritos" of province of Siteia is a fully pure, natural product produced with great love, respect, care and passion. Kalea Gifts Agronomist-Food Technologist G. P. A..